More over pulled pork and hamburger sliders! We’re shaking up the sliders game with this Smokey Black Currant Shredded Chicken Ciabatta Sliders recipe. These are sure be a winner at your next gettogether! The tart, vibrant, fresh taste of Crofter’s Black Currant Fruit Spread pairs perfectly with the smokiness of the pulled chicken—topped with a bed of crunchy slaw on a delicious ciabatta bun and you’re in for a tasty treat! These are perfect for game-day, potlucks, or summer BBQ’s!
1 Cup Crofter’s Just Fruit Black Currant Fruit Spread
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2-3 Cloves Garlic (Finely Chopped)
Half a White Onion (Finely Chopped)
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
S&P to Taste
4 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
½ Cup No Added Salt Vegetable Broth
2 Cups Finely Chopped Kale
½ Cup Finely Chopped Red Cabbage
½ Cup Finely Chopped Green Cabbage
Fresh Lemon Juice
- To start, prepare the Black Currant sauce, in a large sauce pan, add in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil followed by the garlic and white onion. Let this cook down for 5- minutes over low heat until the onions and garlic have softened.
- Add in the Crofter’s Black Currant Fruit Spread and stir softly to mix.
- Next add in the Dijon mustard, tomato paste, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and smoked paprika. Stir well to evenly mix ingredients and let cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sauce form the pan and carefully transfer it to a blender. Give the Black Currant sauce a couple pulses in the blender until the sauce is at a smooth consistency and there are no chunks of onion or garlic left. Place the sauce back in the sauce pan over low heat until ready to use.
- In a crock pot or slow cooker. Place the boneless, skinless chicken breast in the bottom followed by the vegetable broth. Season the chicken well with Salt and Pepper and then add in the Black Currant sauce over top. Be sure to coat the pieces of chicken in the sauce well. Let cook on high setting for 90- minutes or on a low setting for 4-5 hours.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the slaw. Chop up the kale, red cabbage and green cabbage and toss lightly in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp Olive Oil and with the juice from half a fresh lemon. Toss and place in the refrigerator until ready.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and begin to shred it using two forks until all the chicken has been shredded. There are a few ways you can shred the chicken, however we found that using the forks to pull it apart seems to work best!
- Once shredded, place back in the slow cooker and let cook in the sauce for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Once ready to serve, toast Ciabatta buns lightly in the oven and top with the shredded chicken and slaw. Enjoy!