We’re shaking up the sliders game with this smokey Black Currant Chicken Sliders recipe. The tart, vibrant, fresh taste of Crofter’s Black Currant Fruit Spread pairs perfectly with the smokiness of the pulled chicken—topped with a bed of crunchy slaw on a delicious ciabatta bun and you’re in for a tasty treat! These are perfect for game-day, potlucks, or summer BBQ’s!
Black Currant Sauce:
1 Cup Crofter’s Organic Just Fruit Black Currant Fruit Spread
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic (Finely Chopped)
½ Cup White Onion (Finely Chopped)
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
½ Cup No Added Salt Vegetable Broth
Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
Black Current Sauce
2 Cups Kale (Finely Chopped)
½ Cup Red Cabbage (Finely Chopped)
½ Cup Green Cabbage (Finely Chopped)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice
- For the Black Currant Sauce, in a large saucepan add olive oil, garlic and white onion. Sauté for 5 minutes over low heat. Add in the Crofter’s Organic Just Fruit Black Currant Fruit Spread, Dijon mustard, tomato paste, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and smoked paprika. Stir well to evenly mix ingredients. Cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the Black Currant Sauce from the pan and carefully transfer it to a blender. Give the Black Currant Sauce a couple pulses in the blender until the sauce is a smooth consistency. Place sauce back in the saucepan over low heat until ready to use.
- For the Shredded Chicken, place boneless skinless chicken breast in slow cooker. Pour in vegetable broth. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper then add in the Black Currant Sauce. Coat the pieces of chicken well with the sauce. Cook on high for 1 ½ hours OR on low for 4-5 hours.
- For the Slaw. Chop up the kale, red cabbage and green cabbage. Place in blow. Drizzle with olive oil and with the juice from half of a fresh lemon. Toss lightly in a bowl. Place in the refrigerator until ready.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and begin to shred it using two forks. Once shredded, place back into the slow cooker letting chicken cook in the sauce for an additional 30 minutes.
- Once ready to serve, toast Ciabatta buns in the oven top with the shredded chicken and slaw. Enjoy!