Bears love berries and we love bear claws! Delicious puff pastry baked to golden brown perfection, bursting with blackberry flavor topped with sliced almonds and a dash of sugar—yes please! You’ll love these scrumptious Crofter’s bear approved Puff Pastry Blackberry Bear Claws! Warning, these claws are berry delicious!
½ Cup Sliced Almonds
2 Tbsp Raw Cane Sugar
1 Tsp Cold Water
1-2 Sheets Frozen Puff Pastry (Thawed)
If making your own Puff Pastry:
4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
2 ½ Cups Cold Butter
1 Tsp Salt
¾ Cup Cold Water
- To start, line a large baking tray with parchment paper and lightly spray it with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 400°F. If you are using frozen puff pastry sheets, remove them from the freezer and let thaw for 1 hour.
- If you are making your own puff pastry, in the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, butter and salt until well mixed on a low speed. Then while the mixer is running, add in the cold water in a slow steady stream just until the dough comes together and takes shape. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has been in the fridge for 30 minutes remove and roll it out onto a floured surface into a large rectangle (If using frozen puff pastry, follow these steps as well). Approximately 18” x 12” and fold the dough like an envelope into thirds and then thirds again the opposite way. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let cool in the fridge again for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and then divide it in half. On a lightly floured surface roll half of the dough out to approximately 16”x 11”. Cut down the middle of the dough lengthwise and then cut into 6 even rectangles. Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of Crofter’s Organic Just Fruit Blackberry Fruit Spread into the center of each rectangle. In a small bowl combine 1 large egg and 1 tsp water, beat well. Brush the egg mixture over the edges of the pastry and fold over to seal in the fruit spread. Trim any excess off the edges to completely seal the pastry.
- Using a sharp knife or a good pair of scissors, make 4 cuts into each of the sealed edges of the dough and gently pull back to make a gentle “U” shape. Lightly brush each bear claw with remaining egg mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sliced almond flakes and cane sugar.
- Bake the bear claws for about 20 minutes or until a golden-brown color is achieved. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!