Think outside the jar! Crofter’s fruit spreads are for more than just PB&J and toast! Our Concord Grape fruit spread is the perfect addition to the classic jelly roll! This dessert is an eye catcher and is bound to create buzz at your next potluck! The bed of sponge cake is the ideal canvas for our perfectly sweetened Concord Grape fruit spread. Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a dessert chief in order to achieve this beautiful dessert. This recipe is simple to make even for the most novice baker yet looks super impressive. This result is an elegant pin wheel shaped dessert that is Instagram picture ready. So, put on your apron and get your ovens preheated—this recipe is coming in hot!
For the rolls:
1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
1 Tbsp Plan Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
For the filling:
½-1 Cup Crofter’s Premium Concord Grape Fruit Spread
2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the glaze:
2 Tbsp Low Fat Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp Buttermilk
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- For the filling: In a small saucepan pan combine the concord grape fruit spread and coconut sugar. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vanilla extract and cornstarch into a slurry and add it into the concord grape filling. Mix well for 3-5 minutes until filling becomes thick. Turn off the heat and remove from heat and let cool.
- For the Rolls: Preheat oven to 425F. Spray or grease a 10-12” cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk
- Combine all the wet ingredients into a bowl and whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Dump the dough out and kneed until smooth. Flour a work surface and stretch or roll the dough out in to a 12x9 rectangle and spread the filling mixture over top leaving a space from the edges. From the long side, start rolling the dough in a tight log shape and seal them seem once it is completely rolled.
- Seem down, cut the log in to 8-12 slices and place into the prepared skillet. Brush the top of the rolls with butter and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- For the glaze: Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla extract until thick and smooth.
- Once ready, remove rolls from the oven and drizzle glaze on top. Serve warm.