This should put a pep in your step and take your day in just the right direction. (If you know what we mean.)
2 cups milk or dairy alternative (2 ¼ cups if omitting whiskey)
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
¼ cup whiskey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
8-12 slices bread
Organic peanut butter or other nut butter
Syrup (maple recommended)
Butter for cooking
- In a bowl, whisk together milk (or milk alternative), egg yolks, whole eggs, whiskey, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Prepare the bread slices as you would for a standard PB&J, by spreading the Crofter’s Organic® fruit spread and nut butter on the bread and assembling as sandwiches.
- Pour the batter into a shallow baking dish and place the assembled PB&J sandwiches into the batter. Allow the sandwiches to soak until well absorbed, turning the sandwiches over at least once.
- If cooking for a larger group, prepare your oven as a warmer by preheating oven to 200°F (or follow alternative baking instructions).
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter to coat skillet.
- Cook the French toast in batches, about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once cooked, transfer to oven warmer or serve dusted with powdered sugar and syrup, if desired.
Alternative baking instructions:
- Prepare sandwiches by following steps 1-3 above.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Brush a baking sheet with butter. Place soaked sandwiches on baking sheet and brush tops with butter.
- Bake in center of oven for approximately 6 minutes.
- ake out of oven, and flip each sandwich. Return to oven to bake until golden, 5 or 6 more minutes.